This time of year there are Farmer’s Markets in many locations. Here are five things you need to know:
- Bring cash and small bills — plenty of 5’s and 1’s.
- Buy by the case. Most farmers offer discounts that allow you to skip weekly trips to the market.
- Know the crop calendar to know when the season begins and ends. These can be found at the Market information booth. If you can’t get one there try your county cooperative extension office or your state’s department of agriculture.
- Buy the ugly stuff. #2 produce can be discounted as much as 50% and is great to preserve for the winter months.
- #2 produce has a marred appearance but no loss in quality.